Saturday, February 13, 2016

Our Veranda Cabin

I re-read this post after I wrote it and it comes across a by more negative than I intended. The cabin is very clean and overall we we are happy with it, but I am comparing with other cabins we have stayed in on previous cruises.
----------

We have a veranda cabin on deck 6.



Sweet Pea wanted to stay in our room instead of with Grandma Trudy and I will say that it feels pretty tight with the three of us in here, especially compared to our last cruise when were in a Family Veranda cabin on the Disney Magic. I can't look it up right now so I'm not sure of the square footage difference, but I think the Disney cabins were just designed better and with more storage. For starters, I know we are really going to miss the curtain between the bed and the couch area.

The closet in this cabin is big enough, but there are only three small usable drawers in the living area in addition to a cabinet over the bed. If you hang most of your clothes in the closet and only use the drawers for pajamas, socks and underthings, a couple of people would probably be okay. However all of Sweet Pea's clothes and half of Ross's things are better suited for drawers.



When we arrived, the cabinet over the bed was filled with extra bedding and pillows (from the convertible couch). I shoved them under the bed but even when I'd emptied it, the cabinet was still awkward to use because of its location. I am very tall so I can manage but there is no way that Sweet Pea could reach it.




There is a also a small shallow desk drawer, but it was entirely taken up with a hair dryer (why is this not hanging on a wall in the bathroom?) and oddly, a clunky keyboard.




This inefficient use of the desk drawer means that the room service menu & guide, remote, stationary, etc are left out on top of the counter and cause unnecessary clutter. There were also a set of 4 glasses on the counter that I also asked the steward to remove.



The mini fridge was also so completely packed full of for-sale liquor, etc. that there was no room to store our own things. I asked our room steward to remove these items so he packed them up in a bag and stored them under the bed.

There is only one set of electrical outlets and they are not beside the bed, but across the room at the desk. This makes it very awkward to plug in your phone for use in bed and as an alarm clock.



The bathroom is better than the main living area, but it is still not designed nearly as well as the "separate bath and toilet area" concept that is standard on Disney ships.




There is no bathtub, but I do love the shower on Celebrity. The separate water pressure and temperature knobs were excellent. They were very responsive and easy to adjust. The actual shower sprayer was attached by a hose and so could be removed from its holder. The sliding glass doors contained the water well and were far better than a leaky billowing curtain.

There is a nice narrow set of open shelves to the right of the sink.




Below those are shelves in an enclosed cabinet.



There are two more very tiny drawer to the left of the sink. It looks like there are three, but the larger lower "drawer" is actually a tilt-out trash can.



Our veranda is great! Drinking coffee and eating breakfast on the veranda in the morning is one of my favorite parts of a cruise. Ours is extra large because we are located on one of the "humps" that stick out a little bit on the side of the ship. It is a very spacious 100 sq ft.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment