Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Key West Part 3 - Food








After our trolley ride, I went off by myself to find El Meson de Pepe and picked up a to-go order of my favorite Cuban snack.







Fried Yucca!









Ross and Grandma Trudy picked up some tasty coconut shrimp and conch fritters from a stand in Mallory square. The shrimp was good with a strong coconut flavor which I suspect was enhanced with sugar in the coating batter.







The conch fritters were just so-so. Ross said that there were better right out of the fryer, but I was getting the yucca so wasn't able to taste them until they had sat for a little while.







We found a shady bench to enjoy our afternoon snack.

Later we stopped at the the Sweets of Paradise shop for a scoop of ice cream which was fantastic. Grandma Trudy ordered key lime sorbet, while Amelia had cotton candy ice cream with marshmallows. We also sampled a chocolate chip coconut which was great. The owner was there and told is that it was homemade. I got a chocolate-dipped frozen piece of key lime pie on-a-stick which was not worth eating. We each only had one bite and threw away the rest. It paled in comparison to the one that I had last year at the Kermit's Key West Key Lime pie Shoppe. If you want Key Lime pie, that's where you should go.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


No comments:

Post a Comment