Friday, February 5, 2016

Bahia Honda Beach Adventure

After lunch at The No Name Pub, we headed over to Bahia Honda beach. As we drove in, we noticed a blue "Dangerous Marine Life" warning flag flying. "Is that up all the time?" I wondered. "I hope there aren't any sharks around!"






Sweet Pea was thrilled to be able to play in the ocean again.







There was a ton of seaweed on the beach, but I cleared off a spot and laid out a towel so I could read my book (The Martian).






While I attempted to read, Sweet Pea and Ross had a great time playing in the water. Ross showed her how to body surf a little.






Grandma Trudy was having fun combing the beach and bringing things back to show me. There were lots of natural sponges, some driftwood and a few shells.







There were also strange blue gelatinous pods all over the beach. Grandma Trudy carefully picked up some of them to show the other beach goers. She cradled them in a pile of sea grass to carry them around.







Despite her precautions, she quickly returned to tell me that she thought it had stung her finger! Her finger had even started to swell up. Ouch! I guess those blue things really are jelly fish! I offered to pee on her finger, but for some reason she turned me down. [Editor's Note: Peeing on a jelly fish sting is not actually a proper first aid treatment. That was just a joke.]

Undeterred, Trudy really wanted to get a good photograph of them. Since she didn't have her phone, that task fell to me.

(Note: I forgot to mention that when we arrived at Brian's house on Tuesday night, Grandma Trudy couldn't find her phone. After an extended search, we called the Olive Garden where we had eaten dinner earlier and discovered that they still had it. Yea!! Since the restaurant was hours behind us, we decided that we would just pick it up on the way back to Miami on Friday.)








Grandma Trudy spent some time trying to rinse the sand off of the blobs so we could get a good picture. She also arranged seaweed to create a better background.







Meanwhile, Sweet Pea and Ross built a drip sand castle.






And then returned to the water, but didn't stay long because Ross felt something sting his leg. When I inspected the sting, I found an obvious welt and a stinger still embedded in his calf. I flicked it out with my fingernail, but we decided that our time in the water was over.

We stayed at the beach until sunset.


















When we got back to the house, we did a little googling to try to figure out what had stung Ross and Trudy. Oh look, the blue warning flag was for the Portuguese Man of War that are all over southern Florida beaches right now!








- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment